applymsic logo

1300 837 482

MSIC Cards Online

Fast Delivery within 1 - 2 weeks*

Apply Now
msic card

Do I need an MSIC?

If you work within Australia in the offshore or maritime industries, chances are that you will need a Maritime Security Identification Card.

An MSIC is a Commonwealth approved form of identity which shows that the holder has met the security requirements to work unmonitored in a designated maritime security zone.

read more

Are you Job Ready?

If your employer or facility has identified your need to obtain an MSIC, we can assist you to apply for your MSIC card.

It generally takes around 10 - 15 minutes to apply for your MSIC. Cards for approved applicants can be issued in about 1 - 2 weeks from when we receive your application forms and identity documents.

read more

How to Apply

MSICs Delivered Australia Wide

Our MSIC program is managed in accordance with the Commonwealth of Australia Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Regulations 2003. We achieve the fastest turnaround times for you through our automated processing system and on site card production facility.

Need an MSIC for employment purposes?

Apply Now

Postal Address
PO Box 7663
Cloisters Square WA 6850

Most Popular Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is the definition of an adverse criminal record?

    A person has an adverse criminal record if he or she has been convicted of a Maritime-security-relevant offence (MSRO) and sentenced to imprisonment (including a suspended sentence, periodic detention, home-based detention, and detention until the rising of the court).

  • Who needs an MSIC?

    In May 2005, the Australian Government introduced amendments to the Maritime Transport Security Act 2003 in Federal Parliament in an effort to further secure the nation's maritime and offshore industries. These amendments have led to the introduction of Maritime Security Identification Cards (MSIC) which ensure that those persons working in these critical industries are subject to appropriate background checks.

    Since 1 January 2007, all personnel requiring unmonitored access to a maritime or offshore security zone are required to display an MSIC.

    What is a Maritime Security Zone?

    Maritime and offshore facility operators are responsible for establishing Maritime Security Zones (MSZ). MSZs may be established for a range of reasons including:

    • controlling the movement of people;
    • providing cleared areas within the port or offshore facility environs;
    • preventing interference with ships and offshore facilities; and
    • restricting access to specified areas including critical installations.
    What is an Operational Need?

    A person has an "Operational Need" to hold an MSIC if his or her occupation or business interests require, or will require, him or her to have unmonitored access to a maritime security zone at least once a year.

    This includes:

    • port, port facility and port service workers;
    • stevedores;
    • transport operators such as train and truck drivers;
    • seafarers on Australian regulated ships and;
    • people who work on and/or supply offshore oil and gas facilities.
  • Can I apply if I am looking for work?

    If you are seeking employment which works in or supports the maritime and offshore industries and your role will require unescorted access to a Maritime Security Zone (MSZ) at least once a year, then you can apply for an MSIC.

    The application process will assist you in determining your Operational Need requirement for an MSIC.

  • What if an MSIC applicant has a criminal record?

    Depending on the offences that a person has committed, it is possible to obtain an MSIC. However, a person with an adverse criminal record is not eligible to be issued with an MSIC.

  • What is a maritime security relevant offence?

    Disqualifying offences a person convicted of an offence mentioned in item 1, 2, or 3, is disqualified from holding an MSIC, but, under regulation 6.08X, is entitled to seek reconsideration of the disqualification decision.

    1. An offence mentioned in Chapter 5 of the Criminal Code. Note: Offences for this item include treason, espionage and harming Australians.
    2. An offence involving the supply of goods (such as weapons or missiles) for a Weapons of Mass Destruction program as mentioned in the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Prevention of Proliferation) Act 1995
    3. An offence involving the hijacking or destruction of an aircraft or vessel

    An issuing body must not issue an MSIC to a person who has been convicted of an offence mentioned in item 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9, unless the Secretary, acting under regulation 6.08F, decides that the person is unlikely to constitute a threat to security and approves the issue of an MSIC to the person.

    If a person is refused approval by the Secretary under Regulation 6.08F, he or she may seek reconsideration of the decision under Regulation 6.08X.

    1. An offence involving treachery, sabotage, sedition, inciting mutiny, unlawful drilling, or destroying or damaging Commonwealth property, mentioned in Part II of the Crimes Act 1914
    2. An offence involving interference with aviation, maritime transport infrastructure or an offshore facility, including carriage of dangerous goods on board an aircraft or ship, or endangering the security of an aerodrome, a port or an offshore facility
    3. An identity offence involving counterfeiting or falsification of identity documents, or assuming another individuals identity
    4. Transnational crime involving money laundering, or another crime associated with organised crime or racketeering
    5. People smuggling and related offences mentioned in Chapter 4, Division 73 of the Criminal Code
    6. An offence involving the importing, exporting, supply or production of weapons, explosives or a trafficable quantity of drugs.

    For more information on offenses, please call AusCheck on: (02) 6141 2000 ?>